Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Run Keeper

On Wednesday I had left my iPod and my stop watch at home, so I tried to think of an alternative way to track my run. I found a new app for my iPhone called RunKeeper.

"RunKeeper is an application built for the new iPhone 3G that uses the built-in GPS to enable runners (and walkers, cyclists, hikers, etc.) to track their outdoor fitness activities including duration, distance, pace, speed, calories burned, and path traveled on a map."

It was very easy to use, and I could even use my camera while using the app (I paused the workout while I took the photo, then resumed afterwards).

Below is what my run looked like when I got back to my computer:


I love that it also gives splits - something missing from the Nike+.

pros:
1. I had everything in one - camera, music, phone and the run keeper program.
2. Very easy to use. Just need to remember to turn WiFi off. Then just push the button to start running. Pause when you want to.
3. It automatically gets sent to the website to view later. No connections or downloads required.
4. It's free!!!

Cons:
1. It was a bit awkward carrying the iPhone while running. I need to look into some sort of belt or clip to hold the phone
3. A bit fiddly when you want to check how fast you are going, or to pause the workout... need to unlock the screen first. (I believe this is fixed in the $10 version of the app.)
4. The map takes a long time to load on the website.

I thought the downloads would be high, and that that would be a negative about this tool. I have just logged in to Telstra to check my downloads, and this is what it has:

Wed 15 Jul 2009 01:01 PM 54KB 93:45 min $1.41

The bigger hit came after the run was finished when I wanted to view the map...

Wed 15 Jul 2009 02:35 PM 2,100KB 11:07 min $46.42

(now that I know this I will just look at the map from my pc. Oh and I won't actually pay that much, as long as I don't go over my 150MB downloads for the month)

While on my run I spotted a couple of police on horse. So I stopped them to ask for a photo... "for things that I see on my run!"




Two police patrolling the Tan





No comments:

Post a Comment