Saturday, July 25, 2009

The step-back week

This week is an easy week for us.  I have really been looking forward to the break!  The plan was for :

  • Wednesday – 10km
  • Friday - 7km
  • Sunday - 10km race

Wednesday night we went to the Melbourne Marathon training group.  It was a bit of an adventure to find where we were running from – normally the running groups start at Federation Square… but this one started from Genesis at Southbank.  It was a bit different running around the city at night.  The big ferris wheel looked amazing, but most of the time I didn’t really know where I was, I was too busy watching my footing.  There were two groups to choose from – 10km fast or 10km slow.  We chose the slow group which was supposed to go at about 6 minute kms.  I am so glad that we went with this group… it was a bit of a struggle to keep up. 

The run group started at 6pm, and I had turned down a lunch time run with a running coach that someone had told me about.  The weather looked beautiful at lunch time… and unfortunately by about 4pm some big dark clouds rolled into town with a lot of rain.  I checked the bom site and I was very optimistic that by the time we went out the rain would have stopped.  I wouldn’t really call it rain… but it was drizzling down most of the run.  I did start the run with straight hair… by the time I got home it was looking a bit curly again.

We ended up doing 10.8km in about an hour – so a little bit quicker than 6min/km.

Friday lunch time I did a 7km run which went around the Tan and a bit extra.  Here is a picture of a funny looking statue that is next to the Yarra river. 

IMG_0132

I did some research and found out it’s name is Angel:

"Angel' - A mosaic sculptural piece created by Deborah Halpern when she set out to make a sculpture that was “wild, whimsical and colourful”. After standing in front of the National Gallery of Victoria for 18 years, and some restoration of her 4,000 tiles, Angel was relocated to her new home just down from Federation Square.

After running around the Tan once I kept going up to Anderson St and ran back on the other side of the Yarra.  Lucky I did the extra bit, or I wouldn’t have seen this…

IMG_0137

There were two cockatoos, sitting right near the path and they barely moved as I ran past.  So I decided to stop and take a photo.  Each time I took a step closer they took a step back.

Tomorrow there is a race at Princess Park… I’m still undecided about whether I will do it or not…

No comments:

Post a Comment