Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dirty Thirty

We reached a huge milestone on Sunday when we completed the THIRTY KILOMETRE run!  I made up a route that took us all around Melton, the highlight being the run down Harkness Road… which is a long country road, most of it being a dirt road.

 IMG_0216

IMG_0217 

We turned at Hardy Rd and made our way to the end… I had been down here during the week to check out where we were going to go.  It was night time, and with high beams on, there were rabbits jumping all over the place!  I got to a bit that I thought I had better turn around, since we don’t own a 4WD!!! 

It was really exciting for me to see what was beyond the bend (I love seeing new sites and going on little adventures!).  It was amazing… there were huge rocks and a bit of a gorge that went down beyond the trees.  It was really beautiful and I couldn’t believe that this kind of place existed so close to home and we had never seen it before.

Looking down to the gorge…

IMG_0219

The rocks…

IMG_0220

A photo of Carli stretching while I stand on the rocks…

IMG_0221

Some cactus…

IMG_0222

The tree stump that Carli would like to turn into a table… she just needs a glass table top to put on the top… oh and somebody to go all the way down there, pick  it up and take it home… any takers? lol

IMG_0223

We saw sheep, we saw tractors, we saw horses, we saw…. a high heel shoe!  What the?!?

IMG_0227

This lonely shoe was found on the outskirts of Melton… and yes, there was only one of them.  Does anyone know where the owner of this shoe might be?  Cinderella?

We struggled home with Carli nursing a sore knee, which sounds like it might be ITB syndrome.  I had this last year before I did the Half for the first time.  It’s not nice.  Hopefully ice, massage and stretching will do the trick.

Our final time was 3 hours 54 minutes… of which 2 hours 56 minutes was spent running.  I was a little bit shocked to see that we had used an hour on breaks!  Though I must admit we did spend a bit of time at the gorge – it was just so pretty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment