Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sunday - 29km

Sunday morning, bright and early we got up for a nice 29km run.

The moon was still out when we left…

IMG_0170

Before we left, Carli had to come inside to use the loo… (now normally I wouldn’t bother to go into such detail – but this is a very funny story!).  The boys were still in bed at the time and I just waited in the kitchen.  Sam woke up and wandered into the toilet in his just woken up state, saying “Mum…” and got the fright of his life to see Carli there!  He ran out crying and I had to calm him down.  He was saying something like “Don’t do that to me mum”.

The run was pretty uneventful for much of the way.  We went on a similar route to last week, up to Toolern Vale, with a slight detour down Roslyn Park.  When we got to Toolern Vale we made our way up to the local park and had a toilet stop there.  It looked like a busy time at the Toolern Vale shop with three cars out the front!  We ran along the road that goes to the school, and this is where I found something that really reminded me of my Grandpa…

They even had a sheep!  You can just make it out in some of the photos.

Self portrait!  Notice me headband to keep my ears warm! I also had matching white cotton gloves to keep my hands warm.  I wore them for more than half the run before I felt warm enough to take them off.  Then I just pinned them to the back of my pants.

IMG_0186

This weeks gel flavour of the week is Strawberry Banana!  Verdict… very nice, but watch out if you spill some on your gloves and watch! Very sticky (though that is probably the case for all gels, not just this flavour!).

Heading back toward Melton and I got the scare of my life when I heard this blood curdling scream.  In my mind it sounded like a woman was being murdered with an axe.  My heart was racing.  Turned out it was actually a horse… with a very strange neigh!  Would have been funny if I had a heart rate monitor on at the time!

After the run I jumped into a cold bath to help my legs recover.  The boys think it is so funny to hear me screaming as I get into the cold water.  I took a magazine with me and Kel made me a nice warm Milo to keep my insides warm while my legs were freezing.

My legs did recover ok after that run… but the next morning my back was killing me.  (I have a feeling this is a Wii Fit hula hooping injury!)

We get an easy week next Sunday… a half marathon.  I’m looking forward to it… it will be nice to get out of Melton for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment