Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fundraising

Friday I didn’t go for a run… instead I spent the time selling raffle tickets at work.  I bought a couple of Gold Class movie tickets from the staff social club for $30 each and some raffle books from Coles.  I sold the tickets for $2 each or 3 for $5.  I was a little bit worried about whether I would sell enough to cover the price of the movie tickets, but it turned out ok. 

I actually had a lot of fun selling the tickets and talking to people about what I was doing and why.  Basically I wanted to run the marathon while raising money for charity… but I didn’t want to just donate money and not know what exactly it was going to.  That is why I chose a target of $2,200 toward a walker for a child with Cerebral Palsy.

It is a big target, but hopefully one that we can reach between Carli and myself.

In the end I raised $272.  The winner was drawn at the end of the day… and the winner was…..(drum roll) Dan from level 26!

Some fundraising tips for anyone else who is trying to raise money for charity:

  1. When holding a raffle in Vic, you don’t need a permit as long as the value of the prize is less than $500, the prize is not cash, and all the raffle tickets are sold within 24 hours. The winning ticket must be drawn on the same day as the tickets are sold, or within 8 hours.  More info here.
  2. It is much more successful to ask people in person rather than leave a book of tickets on a table in the lunch room.
  3. Coles brand raffle books are CRAP! but I guess you get what you pay for!  So many of the tickets didn’t tear properly across the perforated line.

No comments:

Post a Comment